Friday 17 May 2013

End it like Beckham: England legend calls time on glittering career and retires!




David Beckham has retired from football, bringing an end to a glittering career on the field.

Waving goodbye: David Beckham will retire from football after 20 years at the top

Since his debut for Manchester United two decades ago, the 38-year-old has emerged as arguably the most iconic sportsman of his generation, captaining England, collecting 115 caps, and celebrated as a champion in four different countries - the only British footballer in history to do so.
Despite the offer of an extended one-year deal at Paris Saint-German, the 38-year-old has played his last game, bowing out on a high after helping Carlo Ancelotti's side win the French title for the first time in 19 years.
Confirming the blockbuster announcement, Beckham said: 'I'm thankful to PSG for giving me the opportunity to continue but I feel now is the right time to finish my career, playing at the highest level.'

Sealed with a kiss: Beckham toasts Manchester United's Premier league triumph in 1999
'If you had told me as a young boy I would have played for and won trophies with my boyhood club Manchester United, proudly captained and played for my country over one hundred times and lined up for some of the biggest clubs in the world, I would have told you it was a fantasy. I'm fortunate to have realized those dreams.' 
On the international stage, centurion Beckham holds the England record for appearances as an outfield player after his 115 caps. 
'To this day, one of my proudest achievements is captaining my country,' Beckham added. 
 
Pure delight: Beckham and Zlatan Ibrahimovic celebrate the title
'I knew every time I wore the Three Lions shirt, I was not only following in a long line of great players, I was also representing every fan that cared passionately about their country. 
'I'm honoured to represent England both on and off the pitch ... I want to thank all my team-mates, the great managers that I had the pleasure of learning from. 
'I also want to thank the fans who have all supported me and given me the strength to succeed.'
The trailblazing midfielder -  who played for some of the biggest clubs in the world such as Manchester United, Real Madrid and AC Milan, as well as Los Angeles Galaxy - is now set to continue his ambassadorial duties with a variety of organisations, which include Sky Sports, adidas, Unicef and promoting football in China.
Beckham's last game of football will be on the synthetic pitch at Lorient's 18,110-capacity Stade du Moustoir, with the last home match of his career this Saturday against Brest at Parc des Princes.

Fond farewell: Beckham soaked up the applause in Paris earlier this week during PSG's open-top bus title parade


He said: 'Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead.
'I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.'
Having relocated from LA in January, Beckham is expected to set up a permanent base in London with his wife Victoria and children, Brooklyn, Romeo, Cruz and Harper.

A family affair: David Beckham's mother Sandra and sister Joanne proudly look on as the fooballer waits at the sidelines to play for his new team Paris Saint-Germain against Valencia in the French capital on Wednesday
'I wouldn't have achieved what I have done today without my family. I'm grateful for my parents' sacrifice, which made me realise my dreams,' he added. 

Family man: Beckham, won the BBC Sports Personality of the Year's Lifetime Achievement award in 2010, thanks his family for their support

'I owe everything to Victoria and the kids, who have given me the inspiration and support to play at the highest level for such a long period. I also want to thank Simon Fuller and his team for their continued support.
'I want to thank all my team-mates, the great managers that I had the pleasure of learning from. I also want to thank the fans who have all supported me and given me the strength to succeed.'

In a special interview with Sky Sports, conducted by best friend Gary Neville, Beckham said: 'You know when you're ready and I think I know I'm ready. It's a difficult decision because I still feel I could play at the top level and have done for the last six months.
'But I always secretly said to myself that I want to go out at the top and if you'd have said to me eight months ago that I'd be playing in the French league, winning the French cup and league and finishing like this I would have probably said "absolutely no chance". But I was given the opportunity to come to PSG and I just feel now is the time.
'I think it's every athletes dream, every footballers dream to go out at the top - on top form, or winning a trophy. It doesn't happen that often but I’ve been lucky. When I left United we won the league; when I left Madrid we won the league.

'Like you said, leaving the Galaxy after two years of winning the championship there and obviously coming here and winning the league; it’s nice to go out like that. 
'People look back and it's written, it's simple - you're leaving as a champion and that's why I think it's the right time.
'I just want people to see me as a hard working footballer. Someone that's passionate about the game and someone that every time I stepped on the pitch, I've given everything that I have because that's how I feel. 
'Going into games at the end of my career that's how I look back on it and hope people see me. I think over the years it's been my life and my career.'

Box office: President Barack Obamba welcomed Beckham to the White House during his time at LA Galaxy

His vast fortune of an estimated £165million comfortably makes him the richest athlete ever in British sport, with a host of lucrative sponsorship deals and salary payments over the last decade amassing his wealth.
Born in Leytonstone, east London, Beckham started out with Ridgeway Rovers before being singled out by Manchester United legend Sir Bobby Charlton at a Soccer School in Barcelona.

At 14, he signed schoolboy terms at Old Trafford and joined the likes of Gary Neville, Paul Scholes and Nicky Butt in United's famous youth class of 1992, going on to make his first-team debut against Brighton in the League Cup that same year.

Old school: Beckham (again, kneeling far left), pictured with his Waltham Forest District side, aged 14 in 1989

Manager Sir Alex Ferguson sent him out on loan to Preston North End to gain first-team experience, before returning to make his Premier League debut for United in the draw with Leeds in April 1995.
His deadball ability became apparent at Deepdale and of the two goals he scored in five appearances, one was direct from a corner. 
Back at United, Beckham played a key role in a Premier League and FA Cup double in his first full season, the most notable achievement of which was the winner in the FA Cup semi-final against Chelsea at Villa Park. 
 

Goal of the season: Beckham scored a stunning 57-yard strike on the opening day of the season against Wimbledon in 1996

He missed the cut for Euro 96 but was promoted to United's No 10 - he took No 7 a year later - after Mark Hughes left, and he celebrated with arguably his most famous moment, the stunning halfway line goal against Wimbledon.
Beckham had landed. However, he and his reputation would come crashing down in the summer of 1998 when his red card against Argentina - petulently kicking out at Diego Simeone - ultimately cost his country their World Cup place.  
The controversy spurred Beckham on to one of the best seasons of his career, United's 'treble'. He was an integral part of the squad, scoring vital goals in the FA Cup semi-final against Arsenal, in the decisive game of the Premier League season against Tottenham, and providing the corners from which Teddy Sheringham and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer scored in the Champions League final.
After the Treble success and six league titles, Beckham left United in 2003 shortly after the famous clash with manager Sir Alex Ferguson which resulted in a cut above the player's eye having been accidentally struck by a football boot.
The Englishman spent four years in Madrid - winning the 2007 Spanish title before making the surprise move to Major League Soccer, where he won the title twice.
He then made a surprise switch to PSG in January of this year and that move was vindicated when he lifted the French title last weekend, before announcing his retirement on Wednesday.

Hands on: Beckham greets Brazilian great Pele at a gala in New York in 2008


There were highs and lows in Beckham's international career. He was blamed for England's elimination from the 1998 World Cup for his petulant red card against Argentina, but scored the winning goal against the same team at the World Cup four years later.
Beckham responded to jeering at the 2000 European Championship with an obscene hand gesture to England fans but was lauded by the same supporters little more than a year later when his last-minute free kick against Greece secured a place at the 2002 World Cup.
England dropped Beckham in August 2006 in an effort to refresh the team with younger players after a quarter-final exit at that year's World Cup in Germany. 
But coach Steve McClaren recalled him the following year after a poor run of form, and he returned for the remainder of England's unsuccessful attempt to qualify for the 2008 European Championship.
His last England appearance came against Belarus in October 2009, and he missed the 2010 World Cup because of an achilles injury. 
He is the only Englishman to score at three World Cups.
He still went to South Africa as part of Fabio Capello's backroom staff and was often captured on camera.

Statesman: Beckham's enormous popularity has seen him engage with some of the world's most senior figures, including a meeting with Nelson Mandela in South Africa 10 years ago

No comments:

Post a Comment